Community Listener's Permit Program (CLPP)
The impetus for the Community Listener's Permit Program (CLPP) is that of a commitment to lifelong learning and community service. The CLPP opens the classrooms of SIU Carbondale to the community. It is a special non-credit program that gives one an opportunity to participate in numerous SIU credit courses.
What is the purpose?
- This program offers opportunities for professional and personal continuing education. It allows participants to experience the university classroom in a stress free manner, without examinations or grades.
- The program can also help prospective students decide areas of study they might wish to pursue in the future.
Who can take part?
- Anyone not currently enrolled for credit in any university-level course can take part in this program.
How does it work?
- You must first contact the instructor for permission to attend the class of your choice. Then register with Continuing Education and Professional Development, and then show your card to the class instructor.
Are there any limitations?
- Yes, a few. . . Classes in which a danger may exist for the listener, classes that have full enrollment, classes where added direct expense may be incurred by the university (most laboratory classes), classes that require access to a university computer, all classes in the schools of Medicine and Law, and noncredit courses offered by Continuing Education and Professional Development.
- All courses must have approval from the course instructor. Instructor's Approval Form is available below.
- Participating in this program does NOT give one access to online course material or assignments.
SIU and Ed2Go have partnered to offer more than 300 different instructor-facilitated online courses and certifications in a variety of areas, topics and specialties. These non credit courses are project-oriented and include lessons, quizzes, hands-on assignments, discussion areas, supplementary links and more. You can complete any course entirely from your home or office, any time of the day or night. Courses are informative, fun, convenient and highly interactive. All Ed2go courses include expert instructors from around the country, many of whom are nationally known authors.